Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pink Pig Painting...

One of the things that I have loved about Shanghai so far is the shopping, and I am not just talking about clothes and scarves (although those are wonderful).  I have always loved to buy art from the places I travel but sometimes the pieces are just too expensive.  In Shanghai they do have fine art, but you can also buy a beautiful giant painting for like $100.  The painting I bought is big, 2 feet by 2 feet, and I only paid about the equivalent of 50 American dollars.  There is a street here called Painters Street where there are dozens of artists showing their work.  Some of them are copies but there are also some original works of art and you can have anything commissioned.  There are also lots of naked lady pictures if you are into that kind of thing.
I first saw the painting I ended up buying on a trip there with Emily.  I had looked at it twice on that trip and asked the price but walked away without buying it.  I was a little worried that Joel would hate it because it is sort of strange.  But I couldn't stop thinking about it, so last weekend after Joel was done with frisbee we wandered over to Painters Street and bought it.  He does think it is strange but likes it!  I love it, so maybe that makes me strange.  Although, as Roy Liechtenstein said "I like to pretend that my art has nothing to do with me".   That could pertain to art you fall in love with as well as create.
Right?  Anybody?

Joel and I have had several discussions on what we think the painting is about.  I would love to hear comments on what you think the artist was trying to say.



*So after writing this post I went exploring on the internet and found out that the style of my painting is called "cynical realism" and it a Chinese art movement that started in the 1990's.  I couldn't
find who was the original artist behind my painting but it has become a very popular movement and there are several artists who paint in this style whose works of art sell at auctions for millions of dollars.  Cool huh?  Google it if you are an art nerd like me and want to know more and to see some great works of art.

2 comments:

  1. I think she wants to eat it, or to make his nose straighter. OR - she has the knife for self defense because she does not know what the pig is going to do.
    I like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love that painting. Something about it just strikes a chord in me. I can totally see why you couldn't stop thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete